Sunday 11 May 2014

Knit Grandpa Cardigan


This fabric took a while to tell me what it wanted to be. I first admired it as exactly this cardigan, in miniature, on Craftiness is Not Optional's Blog. So I got some. It is a cotton interlock and is quite thick and stable, but it does show bumps underneath. For a long time, I considered a dress. But, as you can see, it turned out to be a cardigan.

I used a pattern and tutorial from iCandy Handmade, the Knit Boyfriend Cardigan.  I have called mine the Grandpa because that is what we call this loose style here in GB.

I made quite a few changes to the pattern. I added 1cm seam allowance to the side seams of the bodice and shoulder seams and 1.5cm to the sleeves. I lengthened the sleeves to wrist length and omitted the bands at the  cuffs, as well as at the hemline. Instead, I hand hemmed all with a 1cm hem. I added 3cm to the hem to compensate for the loss of the band. I also increased the size of the shoulder seam by bringing the front bodice in at the neckline. I brought this in by quite a bit so the final cardigan covers the bust, rather than skimming over the top.


I'm very proud of myself for stabilising the shoulder seams with a strip of ribbon. I should also have added some stabilising tape to the seam at the front band. It is a bit puckered. I didn't follow the instructions for the finishing of the band at the front hem. Instead, I sewed it at the bottom hem, right sides together, before attaching it through the front.

I didn't have too many of my usual problems sewing a very fine jersey. Because this is more stable, the needle didn't skip so many stitches and I did not have to do my usual fix of sewing through computer paper. This time, I just went over each seam twice, once with a 2.5 stitch length and once at about 2.1.

I really like the finished result. I'm surprised how much I love it. It is comfortable and the colour is bright without being overwhelming, I can see myself wearing it lots. My only disappointment is the quality of the fabric, I suspect it is going to pill and look old very quickly. I will definitely make this again, I think I'll try it in a Breton stripe. They are stocking a great range at The Village Haberdashery.

Total costs:
Fabric: £5.13/yd with shipping
£7.70 Wow! I call this a sewing bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...