Tuesday 30 May 2017

...and a hat for me

 

After making up the girls new sunhats, and before I put the pattern away, I thought I would quickly make up a hat for me. The upsized pattern fitted me too, and I had an old laundry bag hanging around in my stash, which I knew would work really well for a summer sunhat. Here it is:


Sunhat
Laundry Bag


The laundry bag was an off white cotton twill, but quite thin and floppy. After the frame broke, I kept it as a good neutral, because you never know. There was plenty of fabric to work with and I didn't mind it looking quite worn in before I started. 

I lined it with cream polycotton, previously used for the waistband of my Garden Skirt, and the under collar of my Yellow Spot Shirt. Another good basic that comes out when needed. 


I pinched out 5mm from the side seams at the point where the crown meets the brim. It made the edges a bit wonky but I smoothed them out in the joining.  My hat is smaller than the childrens' hats. I used taupe thread and did two rows of topstitching over the brim. The girls think it is a bit plain! But I know I am going to get plenty of wear out of this, keeping me from ageing too much faster.



Costs:
  Fabric: upcycled laundry bag, £0.00
  Lining: gift from Mum, £0.00
  Pattern: Oliver & S Bucket Hat, £0.00
  Interfacing: £0.10
  Thread: purchased for Vogue Coat, £0.00
Total: 10p

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...