Saturday 9 January 2016

Top 5 of 2015: Misses

What is the point of a top, without a bottom? Following on from my top 5 yarny makes from 2015, here are the misses. They are ranked in order of date, I have not assigned a ranking to my fails (in case their feelings get hurt).

1. Dahlia Dress



I'm a slow learner of the lesson: cheap fabric makes a disappointing dress. I probably also should not have made up this pattern, which calls for woven fabric, in a knit. A thick knit, no less. I feel frumpy in this dress, but I do wear it. It's comfortable and warm and I throw it on often.








2. White Broderie Dress



Another poor fabric choice. Just because it looks adorable on your children, doesn't mean it will do the same for you, Cathy. I'm planning to dye this dress, hoping the background will take the dye and the embroidery will stay white/silver - it looks like polyester. I have a swatch in my jeans pocket as we speak, awaiting their next refresh in navy dye. Turquoise would be awesome too, as would hot pink...






3. Drop Waist Dress


Poor child, this dress does nothing for her. It's too big, the colour washes her out and the fabric looks like it came from an old sheet. Oh wait - it did!









4. Peony Dress


I'm clearly a very slow learner: yet another terrible fabric choice. I also cut this dress too long. I'm going to hem it shorter next season. I would make this pattern out of quilting cotton again, but would go for a bold, large scale floral.








5. Crochet Snowflake


This was so bad that I didn't even blog it. It was meant for sending to a Christmas craft show, but I didn't. It went on the tree, but is now set for re-working. There is clearly a mistake in my counting. I will crochet another one in future, but will use a smaller pattern.








Well, I have certainly learned an important lesson from compiling this list. You would think it would be obvious, but it wasn't: fabric choice is key. Key! I have always known this with my kitting, I rarely buy acrylic yarn, preferring to spend my time using high quality (and high price) yarns. That is because knitting is about the process, not the outcome. In sewing, I am guilty of buying low priced fabric and now I can see how little I like the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...