Thursday 14 January 2016

Granny Square Blankets


I bought this lovely DK cotton when I first got into crochet and it was time to use it up. Some doll beds were coming for Christmas, so it was nice to give something handmade to go with them.

I decided to start a Granny Square and carry on in alternating stripes until I ran out of yarn. I did the two concurrently so that they would match, and be about the same size. I like that they are almost the same, but not identical.  I had 6 colours of the cotton and I also added a scrap of bamboo that toned well. I left out a lime green, so I had turquoise, light blue, hot pink, cream, mid pink and lilac. I used the cream for the border in a fan stitch.



I've decided that, as much as I love creating Granny Squares, I don't love the bitty look of them. After much Ravelry browsing, I have decided that the best way to make them work is to repeat the same colour for at least two rows, if not three, and to ideally use colours in the same tones. I think this makes them look more coherent. 

Blankets are delivered, so I'm retiring from Granny Squares. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...