Thursday 12 September 2013

What have I done?


An unwelcome side-effect from all my sewing: ironing!

I was brought up by a mother who doesn't believe in ironing.  (Hi Mum!)  My mother is an amazing housekeeper but the one thing she does not like is ironing. When I was at school, I remember that I told her I noticed the other children's school shirts had creases down the sleeves. So she started ironing the sleeves of my shirts. Not the body, just the sleeves!

Coming from a non-ironing household and moving to Britain was quite a shock.  Everyone here seems to be really into ironing: jeans, t-shirts, sometimes even underwear. I'm not about to get into all of that - if you shake it out before you hang it to dry, it's good enough.  But sewing with pure cotton fabric, and ironing as you go, gets you pretty used to the idea of perfectly smooth garments.  Then, when they come out of the wash, they look pretty awful.  Now, I iron all my makes, back to pretty.  Then, it becomes contagious, I look at all the other garments that would look so much better if they were nicely pressed.  What have I done?

Luckily, I find I don't mind ironing all that much, the heat, the smell, it's comforting on a chilly evening.  (Shh, don't tell my Mum!)




No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...