Wednesday 11 September 2013

February Toddler Cardigan


More knitwear today!

This was intended for a birthday present for my daughter, but I realised, about 3/4 of the way through, that it wasn't going to be large enough for a 4 year old.  I put it aside and cast on for the Ocean Waves Cardigan instead.

If I wanted it for my kiddo, I should rip this out and size up, but I went ahead and finished it and I think it is probably a 2 year size.  I just have to decide which toddler to give it to.  Since I don't have one handy, I can't photograph this on a model so the floor will have to do.

The yarn is Araucania Ranco Solid (Ravelry link) which I really enjoyed working with.  I love the colour and it has not felted or pilled while I was working with it.  I realise that it may not be the ideal yarn for a toddler, or a lace garment but, so far, it looks great.  Semi-solid yarns look fantastic with this lace pattern. (I think semi-solid yarns look fantastic, in general!)


The pattern is the Elizabeth Zimmerman, February Baby cardigan. Much loved by knitters, this is now my third iteration of this pattern, and it definitely won't be my last.  It is easy to master, knits fast, looks impressive, can be done with less than one skein and has almost no seams. It is my go-to pattern for baby gifts. I so want to make the matching bonnet, but I haven't seen a baby in a bonnet since the 1970s.

I made covered buttons using one particular shade of butterfly from the birthday dress. I am going to use covered buttons again, I think they look fantastic and are a great way to use a much loved fabric again, even if you only have the smallest scraps left over.


(The colour of the yarn is much prettier than this photo, I had to shade it to show off the buttons.)

Now I just have to decide which of my sisters or friends is most likely to hand wash their toddler garments...!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...