Monday 23 September 2013

Little French Jacket sewalong - supplies


I've got my pattern, fabric and extras all ready for the start of the Little French Jacket sewalong.

The pattern is Burda 8949 and I'll be making View B.

The fabric is a navy cotton twill with a white for the contrast trim. I got 3m of the navy and 1m of the white. 7m of the lime green bias binding ought to be enough for finishing all the inside seams. Add self-cover buttons and shoulder pads and I think I'm all set.

I've been giving some serious thought to Inna's comment on my last post. I realise that I am not making a true Chanel-style couture jacket. I was fine with that. Then I realised what an opportunity I was missing. If she is kind enough to come back and comment on my tiny post on my tiny blog, how great would it be to really take the chance to make a real couture jacket, with help from people who really know what they are doing?

So this is going to become my test jacket. A wearable muslin, if you must.

For the real thing, I have my eye on some black wool boucle. I think a trip to Liberty is needed for lining shopping, plus a market research foray into Chanel to see what's going on in their A/W collection for pockets, trims and buttons. C'mon Cathy, you live in London, one of the fashion capitals of the world! Time to make the most of it.

Eeek! I'm so excited to make a true Chanel-style jacket (because that's what we're really talking about, right?)  I'll be starting a bit behind, I want to get this test garment underway but I plan to finish with two cute jackets.  Thanks Inna!

2 comments:

  1. Cathy, thanks for taking my comment into account. I think if you make something like the French jacket, ready to spend hours of hand-sewing, you'd really want to make it as close to the classic version as possible. Besides, I've explained the reasons to add lining. In case you add the lining, you won't need any bias binding. I can imagine you flashing your Liberty lining! :-)
    Oh, last weekend I popped in a huge Chanel store, here in Tokyo, and to be honest, I found their jackets pretty boring. The fabric was some very stiff boucle, not very nice to touch. They used self-fabric as trim for some and plain black brands for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Inna, I can't wait to start! Cathy

      Delete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...