Sunday 10 May 2015

Crochet Cotton Scarf - Happy Mother's Day, Mum!


I found this lovely variegated cotton yarn in a dollar store in Australia. Dollar stores have some great craft ingredients. Mum offered to buy it for me and I have loved being able to make it up into a scarf for her!


From the first, I wanted to make a crochet scarf from it, and I really wanted to do it as a zig zag crochet project. The colours came out beautifully, but the fabric was very dense, way too firm for a scarf. It made me think of a placemat!

So I needed something looser, a pattern that would make a fabric with drape.  One of my favourite qualities of cotton yarn is its drape, and it would be a shame not to show that off.

Crocheting into the foundation chain is tedious work! I made it harder still by making the scarf too wide. I really like the way that the variegated yarn pools in the wider section, but I had to switch to adding to the side of the scarf so that I would not run out of yarn, and to make it a better width for a summer scarf. You can see the change in direction in the picture below. It looks a bit like I meant it when it is worn. Two different patterns for the two tails of the scarf.

I think crochet is the perfect technique for a scarf. Being uniform produces fabric with no wrong or right side, so it does not matter which side shows when the scarf is worn.


Happy Mother's Day, Mum! I love you! X

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...