Wednesday 3 July 2013

Cath Kidston knock-off childs dress

Remember the pile of old shirts?

Well, I made something with one of them.

Inspired by this dress...

...I took this shirt (note the stains on the front)...

...and made this!


I drafted a pattern from the dress and laid it out over the shirt.  I had to make a centre back seam to avoid the stained fabric (I still almost didn't have enough).

I used some plain white fabric I have in my stash for the collar, the piping and the pockets.  I love the white elements and hopefully they disguise the fact that this dress is made from a shirt.

I had a lot of trouble with the V-neck and the upwards V at the front of the bodice.  I didn't follow a pattern or even do any internet research and ended up with fabric that had extra ease through these two areas.  I couldn't get it to lie flat at the front at the top of either the skirt or the bodice.  


It wouldn't have mattered in a four year old's dress, except that I didn't reinforce the neckline.  At all.  I didn't even stay stitch it.  Here's the result...


Next time, I'll avoid the inverted V, make a proper Peter Pan collar, following a tutorial, and reinforce the neckline with binding and topstitching.

The next chapter for this fabric is going to be a dressing up nurse's apron.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...