Saturday 1 June 2013

Polka dot skirt




These were so simple to make, I managed two in the same week.

I made them up as I went along and tried two different ways, one worked out, the other will have to be redone.

For the one that worked: I cut the length I wanted, with added allowance for waistband and hem.  Sewed selvedge to selvedge, made a casing for an elastic waist and made a matching sash to tie over the waistband.  The most fiddly part was making the sash.  I used 1 1/2 widths of the fabric and played around with matching the spots on the join.  If I hadn't been bothered with matching, it would have come together much quicker.  I even machined the hem (shh, don't tell), but I should have taken the trouble to hem an area between the spots, not over them.

I bought the fabric online and it was honestly the only one I could find in navy with the right size spot (who would have thought).  It is polycotton, rather than 100% cotton, so it is simultaneously stiff and thin.  Plus, the dye is really patchy with some obvious crease marks through it.  I'm not linking to where I bought it, it was a large online marketplace.  But it was really cheap: I got 4 metres for less than £15.  From it, I've got an adult dress, 2 kid skirts and a metre left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...