Saturday 4 July 2015

Yellow Spot Shirt


Summer sewing at its best! Yellow! Spots! Seersucker! Sleeveless! I feel like I am on holiday!

I bought this fabric about 18 months ago, from Spotlight, in Australia, at the height of my spot obsession. They are getting a little dated, so I am really pleased that I finally made something with it.

I originally thought of a skirt, and bought some cream polycotton to line it with. I’m so pleased I came to my senses and made a top instead. I had been hoping to find a copy of the out of print New Look 6732. It even has a yellow spot version on the cover. But I haven’t been lucky and I knew that with only 1m (96cm) of fabric, I wasn’t going to get sleeves, or a Peter Pan collar, out of this. I shopped my pattern stash instead and came up with Simplicity 2447. View F, the sleeveless version would fit the bill. the princess seams make it easier to be frugal with fabric layouts. I don’t know why I grabbed this pattern on sale at Minerva, but I am very pleased to have it.  Based on my measurements, I cut the pattern tissue to a size 12. But when I checked the ease, it seemed enourmous so I had a look online for some reviews before cutting my fabric. Goodbye Valentino has made a lovely silk version and posted a very helpful review on Pattern Review. She said it came up huge, so I sized down to an 8.  I’m really glad I did because it is loose and fits me fine through the front, no pulling on the placket at all. A larger one, especially the sleeveless version, would have been ridiculous.  I might do it one day but I'll save it for a very sheer, or very drapey, fabric.

I made a sway back adjustment through the seam where the yoke and the back join. I also shortened the waist by 3cm. Otherwise, I made no changes. I should have trimmed 1cm from the armholes before adding the binding. The holes allow for a 1.5cm seam allowance and my binding only uses up .5cm of that. They are too small. I might go back and re-do the binding. But, equally, I might not! [Update: I re-did the binding - will wonders ever cease?!]

The fabric wasn’t too badly behaved. It is a very large scale seersucker so the puckers are very puffy and the rows of channels are large too.  It has a lot of thickness so it is not really a cool and light summer fabric. But I like that it is not sheer at all. My eight year old said in the sweetest voice, “Mummy, it looks like one of those cloths that you use to wash the dishes.” Why, yes it does, darling! Never mind, I like yellow spots, and it is so handy to have a nice bit of fabric close to hand when my sunglasses get smeary!

It pressed nicely, but pressing makes the puckers flatten, so I avoided pressing except through the seams. I am sure they will come back in the wash. I sort of matched the stripes, but princess seams don’t really make that possible. I can’t believe that this is my first time sewing princess seams! I knew from my favourite sewing guru, Caroline, that one should ease the curve to make it fit. So I did. And it did. Thanks Caroline!


It was also my first time sewing a button band and a collar stand. All went without a hitch. They are not hard, I just don’t really make, or wear, blouses. I haven’t made the inside plackets as neat as they should be. I forgot that they would be on show, that they are actually the right side, unless I am going to button the shirt all the way to the top. Which I am not. I’ll take more care with that area next time. I also forgot to interface one of the button bands, the buttonhole one, so I hand stitched a layer of interfaced fabric to the underside before I sewed the buttonholes.

I didn’t have enough fabric for the collar so I made the underside from the cream polycotton. I thought I would have a lot more trouble getting all the parts from my .96m than I did. I was planning to make the collar stand and the button bands from the same poly. It was nice not to have to. I used the poly for the armhole bindings and the hem binding. I learned from Lauren that a curved hem works better when bound, rather than turned, and it means you can be more miserly with fabric. Mine didn't end up curved. I don’t think I added back enough hem when I shortened the waist. I tried it on and decided that it was best at this length and didn’t want to lose any length from the sides.  My hemming isn’t great. I ignored the pattern instruction to hem before making the button bands and only discovered why this is a good idea after I had done it, so the front hem is too high. Next time, I will hem when instructed.

Finally, my dear yellow buttons. I have a massive stash of men's shirt buttons, but these yellow ones were just too much fun not to include. I think I got them in a pack from a dollar store. The fabric is so thick that I didn’t need to go any higher with my buttons, so it looks a bit rude. [Update: Since I took these photos, I have gone back and added one more button at the top. I put it on the buttonhole side of the placket, with no buttonhole. It would be covered by the shirt if I sewed it on the correct side.] The best part of making your own blouses is that you can position a button at the centre line of your actual bust so that there is no chance of gaping at all. Why do so many of my RTW shirts have one button above the bust, and one below? This creates a lovely window in my shirt, showing off my bra. Not pretty. Seriously, I have a number of shirts that I have to fasten with a safety pin to stop this happening.


I really like the back pleat. I think it looks very smart. The pattern instructions made no mention of seam finishing. The yoke seam just said press towards yoke. I decided to make a flat felled seam instead. I had cut the yoke on the straight grain and I wanted some extra strength there, plus it is a nice, neat finish to use on a horizontal seam. The fabric didn’t behave perfectly, the puckers ended up puffing out under the presser foot. My seam looks wobbly even though the stitching is straight. This happened with all of my seams in this fabric. Anywhere they went over the puckered part, it puffed out. This was also a problem when I tried to zig zag my internal seam finishes. They became really large and wavy so I ended up pinking them instead. Luckily they don’t show through and I hope they won’t fray too fast. If I make this again, I will do flat felled or French seams throughout, but this time was untested (no toile) so I didn’t want to unpick and re-do French seams.

The final verdict is that I am really pleased with this shirt and this pattern and I can’t wait to make it again. A light, airy fabric would be just perfect.




Costs
Fabric: Spotlight, (A$7) £4
Pattern: Minerva, £4.65
Thread: Stash, £0
Interfacing: John Lewis, £0.90
Contrast Fabric: gift, £0
Buttons: dollar store, £1
Total: £10.55

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...