Wednesday 29 April 2015

Turquoise Circle Skirts


My new favourite colour: turquoise! I had to make two new circle skirts for the little girls, I just love how it combines with white to look crisp and bright.

I got 2 yards of this quilting cotton at Walmart last summer. I managed to get both skirts out of the 2 yards by piecing the smaller one out of two half circles.


I've improved my techniques since I first tried a circle skirt a year ago. These have a separate waistband, made from a circle of fabric, as you would make a band for a knit. This was joined to the front of the skirt and top stitched down to the inside of the waistband, with an elastic encased inside. The hems were a lot quicker too, I used white polycotton and used the method for exposed bias facing.

I have noted that plain cotton fabrics show the creases much more than patterned fabrics. If I'm going to avoid ironing as much as possible, patterns are the way to go.


Cost: 
 Turquoise cotton fabric: Walmart, £3.78
 White polycotton fabric: fat quarter, £0.86
 Elastic: Walmart, £0.84
 Thread: stash
Total: £5.48 for two
= £2.74 each

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...