Monday 27 April 2015

Broderie Shift Dress


Boden S/S 2015
A simple, white shift dress. Crisp and cool for summer. Sort of.

I'm not actually sure if this is a keeper or not. My style inspiration was from the Boden S/S'15 catalogue, the Verity Dress. Cute, non? I hesitate to post this picture because mine are not the same. As always, for the home sewer, it comes back to fabric choices. Mine is not a true cotton Broderie Anglaise, but a cotton voile embroidered with a silver thread that is quite metallic looking. I think this detracts from the sweetness of a true Broderie and makes it look more synthetic. I bought in the Isle of Wight two years ago and used some to make a white dress for my eldest daughter. Hers still looks lovely on her and it always comes out from the wash looking amazing.

The fabric is very sheer, so I underlined it with white quilting cotton. I considered a lighter weight underlining but it would have been too sheer. I'm pleased I went with the quilting weight, even though it adds just a touch too much body to the dress. Both of my fabrics came in very generous widths, so I got this dress out of just over 1m of each fabric.

Close up of the embroidery

The pattern is New Look 6176, made before in a knit fabric. This time I made View C but made the pockets slightly larger and more square. There are significant gathers appearing in the sleeve heads. They are supposed to be eased in so I don't know why there is so much fullness. If I make this again, I'll have to pinch out about 1cm at the top of the sleeve, to eliminate this. It might seem a bit less odd to me if they were smooth.

I omitted the back zip, and cut the back on the fold, but I am reconsidering and thinking about inserting a zip post-make.  I would like it just a little more shaped, with a tiny bit less ease. I made a load of other fitting adjustments but I am not going to list them on the blog. I am using Trello instead. It is a great program that I use to track my sewing projects, patterns and fabric stash as well as a multitude of to-do lists from other areas of my life.

I'm trying to work out if this is a go or a no-go. It's not very "me", and I hardly wore it on a recent holiday. But looking at these pictures, it doesn't look so bad. This is a shape that suits me, but is not very current, despite the Boden catalogue. I think I will take a little break from this pattern. Some fit and flare dresses are on their way!


Costs:
 Fabric, outer: £3.74
 Fabric, underlining: £6.60
 Pattern: £0.00 used previously
 Thread: stash
Total: £10.34

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...