Monday 28 July 2014

Isle of Wight Dress


This fabric came from the Isle of Wight, purchased on our last summer holiday, and I think it is only fitting that it return to the Isle of Wight as two dresses.

The first is inspired by a Boden dress.
Cathy S/S 2014
Boden S/S 2014
I love how the pin tucks change the pattern of the fabric, making the design more dense, then flowing into the skirt. My tucks are not as tiny and I didn't make separate cap sleeves but it was a good starting point for inspiration.

I used The Cottage Mama's Party Dress pattern, an old favourite (free to subscribers of her newsletter). I went for a size 8, even though she was measuring smaller; it gives her a lot of room to grow.

I added pin tucks before I cut the bodice. I did this by measuring the length of fabric I would need for the bodice and then, starting from the centre, began tucking. I stopped when I got bored. It turned out to be 4 on each side. This is where the neckline started to curve, so it was a good place to stop.


When I cut the bodice, I extended the sleeves outward. I wanted the cap sleeve effect from the Boden dress, but I didn't want to draft, and set in, a separate sleeve.  I made a straight line across from the shoulder for another 4.5 inches.


In reality, this method actually didn't work very well. First, she couldn't even get her arms in, so I had to re-do the side seams and extend the opening down into them. There still isn't a natural movement through the sleeves, a fold appears through the bodice. I also added a notch in the sleeve, which gives a bit of extra movement.


It was surprisingly easy to create. Just a V where the lining joins the fabric. I could have made it more  of a line and less of a V.

I changed the back into a normal button back, I got these flower buttons on the Isle of Wight at the same time as the fabric last year. I was hoping to make a button front dress but in the end, I wasn't brave enough. The button back is very practical, I can fasten them at the perfect distance to fit her and move them as she grows. The dress will always fit well!


I made the skirt of two widths of fabric, one for the front and the other for the back. I thought it was a bit full, particularly in the polycotton which has no drape, but she loves the fullness and curseys like a princess. She loves the side seam pockets too and I'm glad I went to the extra trouble to include them.


Cost:
 Fabric: £3.19
 Buttons: £0.75
Total: £3.94 (cf Boden £22.40 on sale!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...