Friday 2 August 2013

Little Pink Skirt


I've been desperate to whip up something quick with one of my new fabrics.  Time off on vacation and a knitting project for an upcoming birthday have meant that I've been away from my sewing machine for ages and it's been too long since I posted a completed project.

I only chose a half yard of this pink pattern fabric (Taza, Lisa, Pink; blogged about here).  I expected that it would be enough for a child's skirt.  Note to self: she is almost 7 now and 1/2 yard is not enough any more. 

I made the simplest skirt possible: selvedge to selvedge, elastic waist; for convenience and so I could use the most fabric possible.


In truth, I don't think the skirt shows off the fabric to its fullest extent.  The print is so pretty and, while the finished skirt is pretty, it doesn't have any wow-factor.  My previous elastic waist skirts have large sashes which tie in enormous bows at the back.  I keep thinking that a different style would have been better: a fitted skirt with a waistband, tiered layers, ruffles, something.  But I wouldn't have had enough fabric to make it in this size and I certainly couldn't have managed it in the time it took (less than 30 mins).  It should last her through next summer and she has a little sister to hand it down to.  So my USD 6.46 (£4.30) spend should get about 4 years worth of wear.  Not bad at all!
Taza, Lisa, Pink (1/2 yd, USD 3.46

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...