Saturday 10 March 2018

Cruella de Vil Costume


How appropriate that I sit here writing this while wearing a fur coat. It is so cold today that I dug out this coat that I bought from a junk shop in Italy and have been trying to get up the courage to refashion into a throw and cushion covers. But more on that here.

For now, we are working with faux fur and turning the Vampire Cape into something for Cruella de Vil to wear to school on World Book Day. This cape was particularly suitable for two reasons: one, because it has the red lining so is perfectly in keeping with Cruella's signature colours of black, white and red; and two, because it has a lovely large collar, to which I could add some fur trim.

I cut a piece of faux fur to the top collar pattern and sewed it on by hand. I didn't cut out the bottom curve of the collar at the neckline, but left it straight. This makes the collar stand up more at the back of the neck. Then I sewed the edges of the collar right sides together to make more of a Nehru collar which I thought was more in keeping with the times. Cruella needs to fasten it tight about herself and then she can be warm and cosy about her neck.

I trimmed the cuffs of the shirt with scraps of faux fur and she is wearing a spotted cotton dress to represent the Dalmatian skins that she so badly wants to wear. The wig was bought used from eBay and their school gloves are red, so they are being worn too, the pearls are my old beads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...