Sunday 4 September 2016

English Rose Dresses


Taking the children shopping at Ikea is pretty fun, as long as I adhere to these survival tips:

 1. Go as early as possible on a weekday morning. School holidays are fine.
 2. Take water.
 3. Drink water.
 4. Make a list in advance.
 5. Try, as much as possible, to stick to the list.
 6. Don't buy anything I am not absolutely certain about. Returns are a pain.
 7. Linger in the children's bedroom section and let them play on the displays.
 8. Stop for food in the cafe.
 9. Don't buy the fast food on the way out.
10. Don't go with a husband = no discussions!

The fabric selection at Ikea is quite extensive. But they are mostly very large scale prints on upholstery weight fabric. Extremely eye catching, but actually quite difficult to work with. Nevertheless, I have bought them before; and made a tablecloth, this skirt, and a sewing machine cover.

When I went with my accomplices, to get some toy boxes, we stopped to admire the small range of cotton prints. It is about the weight of quilting cotton, and is clearly destined for aprons and other such homewares. We got 1.5m of this one, pink roses on a white background, and the same on a blue background. The white one is for little sis. Big sis wants to make her own teddy bear from the blue - which will be adorable! 

I had the right quantity to make the Cottage Mama Party Dress. Including the extra full skirt made from two widths of fabric. By lining the bodice with an old sheet (of course), I saved enough fabric for a matching doll dress.



I have used this pattern often before:
2013: two Daisy Dresses

I made the size 8, and it is very large on my 7 year old. I usually take in a lot at the back, when I am fitting buttons or zips, but this was a gift, so fitting wasn't possible.

I used some pearl buttons that I had removed from an Ann Taylor cardigan and replaced with plainer shirt buttons. They were too much for a lavender cardigan, but lovely to dress up a dress. Working out the buttonhole size was a bit hairy though.


I put in a piped edge between the bodice and the skirt. I did this in the Daisy Dresses and I really like the subtle decoration it gives, in return for very little effort. Pale pink worked best with the colours of the flowers, especially because I didn't have any green on hand. I also added in seam pockets, which I did for the Isle of Wight Dress, to the delight of the owner. Even if nothing ever goes in them, for some reason, its nice to know they are there.


I lined the bodice with white cotton, harvested from an old sheet. The whiteness of the cotton shows that the background of the dress is actually more of an off-white. When I make this dress now, I cut the lining 2cm longer than the bodice pieces, so that I have enough to turn in and stitch down, without having to stitch in the ditch. I topstitched it in place for these makes. I left the skirt as long as possible, for that tea length look.


The doll dress is my favourite doll pattern, made 7 times before. I also added the pink binding, minus the piping cord, and the back is fastened with velcro instead of pearl buttons.

Costs (both):
 Fabric: £10.50
 Lining: upcycled
 Patterns: free
 Fastenings: upcycled
 Bias binding: stash
 Piping cord: 22p
Total: £10.72

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...