Thursday 4 February 2016

Another Jungle Cake


Eldest does not remember her 4th birthday party where she had the first Jungle Cake, so she asked for one for her 9th birthday. I looked out the pictures of the other one and she was very impressed, so we made something very similar.


I was able to make it much smaller - her 4th had 20 children, plus parents - so I just made two layers of chocolate cake in a square tin. I made the cakes and the fondant leaves the weekend before and froze them. The leaves were much quicker too, I started cutting out before all the colouring was mixed into the icing and I really like the variegated effect. The colour mixes in more evenly as you re-roll the icing for more leaves, so I was able to get different leaf colours without actually adding any more colouring. I cut all the leaves freehand, so it went a lot quicker too. I was disappointed that they flopped in the humidity and lost most of their lovely curliness.

The pond is a bit too uniform to be a proper jungle pond, I should have made it meander more, but the honeycomb rocks are just too delicious to skimp on. The pond glitter was left over from the Frozen Cake, but it is just perfect for water instead of ice. The snake sweets are always hugely popular with children and we had a lot of fun positioning them slithering up the sides of the cake. They were also extremely handy for filling in the gap at the bottom of the cake. Can you see one under the trees?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...