Friday 6 November 2015

Icelandic Hot Water Bottle Cover


A perfect stash buster from my Icelandic yarn used for my pullover last winter. The nasty rubber of my hot water bottle, and the even nastier shade of pink, needed covering. This yarn is pretty scratchy to wear so something that touches only my feet is ideal.

I modified the pattern, All You Need, to incorporate the pattern from the Aefmaeli yoke. (Ravelry notes here) I used the small flowers at the top, with the red petals, and modified the black zig zags to go over fewer rows. Despite knitting with almost no tension in the yarn - I don't even hold the yarn - my floats are still very tight. It makes the pattern stretch out in an un-pretty way. You can see it quite clearly in the white sections.

I decided where to start the pattern by just putting the bottle in every now and then. I figured I wanted it to start when I was about half way up. I could have gone a little higher. I didn't want to break into a new ball of black so one quarter of the top zig zag border has no points. I was trying to use up the red - I can see more use for the black and white shades in any future projects.

I probably should have sized down a needle for the rib neck. It is quite loose and floppy. But the bottle fits in easily, and it is lovely and cosy to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...