Friday 20 February 2015

Red Spotty Doll Dress



Another matching girl / doll outfit. These two just happen to have been made almost two years apart.

The red spotty fabric just keeps on giving, and giving, and giving. I made this dress in a slightly different style to the child's dress. This one has an empire line yoke, rather than a waist seam and gathered skirt. I used View D of Simplicity 1443.

My verdict on this pattern is that it is adequate, but no better than, the free pattern I found, and re-drafted, from All Things with Purpose. There are more details in the Simplicity one, lots of collar options, and every single detail is drafted: each bodice or collar ruffle has its own pattern piece. But these things can very easily be drafted, or in the instructions, by giving dimensions. I also find the skirts on this pattern too short. They are more toddler length than child length. I have been adding at least 2 cm to each skirt. 



The back of the child's dress was fastened with three red buttons, I added two false red buttons to this one. The real fastening is my standard two pieces of velcro.

My verdict: it's fine, but I prefer the full length bodice option, as seen in the original dress.


Costs:

Fabric: used previously, £0.00
Pattern: used previously, £0.00
Buttons: spares from RTW, £0.00
Thread: new 1,000m spool, ~£11.50
Velcro: stash, £0.00
Total: £11.50

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...