Monday 12 January 2015

Afmæli Christmas Jumper, in January


I have no idea how to pronounce this, but I was able to make it!

The pattern is Afmæli from Istex, the Icelandic wool manufacturer. I used the yarn it was written for, Létt-Lopi, ordered from Iceland.

Although it is not perfect, I am delighted with this jumper. I love the vibrancy of the colours, I love how warm it is and I really love how accomplished I feel as a knitter, having done all that colour work - with no ripping out!  Whoo hoo!


The down side is that, I am sorry to say, I made the sleeves too short. I made the child size, 10-12 years. The measurements were the same as the ladies small and I liked the pattern better, so I went with it. No modifications, apart from going up a needle size, which is normal for me. The small sizing is my own fault, rather than a problem with the pattern. I should have carried on for another 7cm in the sleeves, and perhaps a few more centimeters in the body. I'm a bit worried about washing it, any shrinkage will be the end of this fitting me. You can really see the short length in this photo of the back.



I do have this weird riding-up through the front yoke effect. I am not sure if this is common with this kind of jumper. There is no difference between the front and the back neckline. With no scooping out of the front neckline, it seems to be pooling in my upper chest. Maybe I just have really hunched shoulders, but I suspect it is because there is not quite enough ease through the underarms. My own fault, again.



I love the fact that this yarn really did come to me from Iceland. I have wanted to visit this fascinating country for ages, but I fear that this might be the closest I will get. The yarn is really light and incredibly warm. I bet it is extremely good at repelling water, but I haven't put that property to the test. It is really scratchy though. It is not soft to handle and I have to wear it with a turtleneck underneath. I don't want it touching my skin anywhere, and I really would not recommend this yarn for children. However, it is affordable, the balls are a generous amount, and the colour choice is huge. I used way less than the pattern called for, which is nice change from running out before the end, as I often do. There was even a tiny bit of Icelandic grass that I pulled out of the fibres as I went along! 

Check out my floats! I used to be in awe of colour work floats and did not ever believe that my knitting would be neat enough for innards photos. It just goes to show that practice really does make perfect!


The total cost, including shipping from Iceland, was £23.13. You wouldn't even get an Acrylic jumper on sale for that.

And here I am, 15 months later, wearing it in the Lake District:


22 comments:

  1. dr fone procrack4pc This article is so innovative and well constructed I got lot of information from this post. Keep writing related to the topics on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://arcvonalontul.blogspot.com/2014/11/szuletesnap-elott.html?showComment=1619202973681#c7639467795628887887

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such great information, I highly appreciate your hard-working skills which are quite beneficial for me. iobit-malware-fighter-crack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I’ve recently been searching for information about this subject for a long time and yours is the best I have found out so far.Guitar Pro Crack

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great and nice information about software. This site gonna help me a lot in finding and using much software. Kindly make this like of content and update us. Thanks for sharing us BackupTrans Crack Kindly click on here and visit our website and read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a lovely and informative piece of knowledge, to say the least! I
    This knowledge is quite helpful, and I'm grateful you shared it with us.
    Continue to provide us with the same level of information. You're welcome.
    splice crack
    soundtap streaming audio recorder crack
    fileviewpro crack
    advanced systemcare free crack

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written and done.
    I recently started creating blogs and noticed a lot of people are just repeating old content but adding
    very little in price. It's good to add a useful article of real value to your subscribers and me.
    wondershare pdf editor pro crack
    fl studio crack
    iexplorer crack
    miracle box crack
    backup4all pro crack
    adobe premiere pro cc crack

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I am the only one who came here to share my very own experience. Guess what!? I am using my laptop for almost the past 2 years, but I had no idea of solving some basic issues. I do not know how to saqibtech.net But thankfully, saqibtech.net

    drylab system crack
    file manager local and cloud file explorer crack
    microsoft activation scripts with crack
    tuneskit drm m4v converter crack
    automatic call recorder pro crack

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its a Very Great and Amazing Blog Dear This is Very Great and Helpful..
    Talha PC
    Crackedithere
    easy cut studio crack
    fineprint crack

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best experience in this article! It's good that you get ideas from this post because
    and from our conversation that took place at this time. Hello! I'm browsing your blog at work on my new Apple iPhone!
    I just wanted to say that I like to read your blog and look forward to everything you write!
    zd soft screen recorder crack
    fbx game recorder crack
    xylio future dj pro crack

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are definitely the best webmaster. Location
    the download speed is amazing. You seem to be changing something.
    In addition, the content is professional. they did
    The best experience in this article!
    da vinci resolve studio
    abbyy finereader crack
    bitdefender antivirus plus build crack
    vivaldi crack

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am very impressed with your post because this post is very beneficial for me and provide a new knowledge to me. this blog has detailed information, its much more to learn from your blog post.I would like to thank you for the effort you put into writing this page.
    I also hope that you will be able to check the same high-quality content later.Good work with the hard work you have done I appreciate your work thanks for sharing it. It Is very Wounder Full Post.This article is very helpful, I wondered about this amazing article.. This is very informative.
    “you are doing a great job, and give us up to dated information”.
    advanced-systemcare-ultimate-crack/
    examdiff-pro-master-edition-crack/
    fast-video-cataloger-crack/
    resizer-pro-crack/
    edraw-max-crack/

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...