Friday 13 June 2014

The importance of blocking


Who would have thought that I would be converted to believing in something as boring as blocking? Something I considered just a distraction from "real" knitting? Well... witness these before and after pictures.

Before:


After:

See how curled and misshapen it is? Then how lovely and smooth it comes out?

For the record, my blocking method is: I soak in cold water for at least 20 minutes (or until someone in the household says "What's that in the basin, Mummy?") After gently squeezing out the excess water, and arranging in the shape I want, I let it dry flat for about 12-24 hours, or until completely dry.

Gosh, with all this being sensible and mature about finishing my garments properly, who knows what I'll do next? Maybe knit a gauge swatch..!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...